Friday, June 17, 2011

"Peace"












I absolutely LOVE this picture and couldn't wait to share it with you (click on it to enlarge).  I found it today in an antique shop in Kansas City and was so mesmerized by it.  I knew I had to have it. I have never seen this print before and decided to research it to find out the meaning of it.  This is what I found;

It was painted by an English history painter named William Strutt in 1869.  A painting he named "PEACE".  It depicts this biblical verse;

The wolf will live with the lamb,  the leopard will lie down with the goat,  the calf and the lion and the yearling together, and a little child will lead them.
The cow will feed with the bear, their young will lie down together and the lion will eat straw like the ox.

This was one of his most famous paintings and has been reproduced for many years. How have I not ever seen this print before now?  Have you? 

My sister loves it as much as I do.  It's now hanging in her living room!

Happy Birthday, Sis!

Until next time...
~Joyce

2 comments:

robin-bird said...

i didn't realize you had started blogging. how exciting!! blogging is a funny thing, i'm never quite sure if i am blogging for my own entertainment or to be in the company of other bloggers..... regardless of the answer to that question what i've discovered is that it's a great way to grow as an artist. thank you so much for your recent comment on my blog it made me feel really good:) as you know i share your love of victorian style and this print is gorgeous!

melanie said...

what a beautiful print...so lucky to have found it! welcome to blogland...it will be fun reading your blog...love it so far!
melanie